Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Things revisited...




I remember my Mom telling us that if there was reincarnation she would come back as a dog in our family since we treat our dogs like people. I know that this is true. Sometimes we are kinder to our animals than you eachother. Having a dog in the house seems to slow us down a bit and make us mindful and caring in a fast paced world. I am grateful for the little dog we have in our home if only it is for a little while. It teaches my children to care and be responsible on a different level than just buzzing around the house in the frenzy to get ready for school and activities.

Sometimes it is the little things that makes us stop and think.
I have been contemplating this very thing. Slowing down to listen. Having lessons reintroduced and trying to grasp the reason for our review of such a lesson, message or mistake.


A while back, probably two years ago, I was introduced to a budhist saying that I have written in my journal about. At the time I got it, I felt I had the answers needed to address it. I realized this morning that I am not done with it but need to slow down and consider it repeatedly.

The say goes... "In the end these things matter most: How well did you love! How fully did you love! How deeply did you learn to let go!" -Budha

Now reflecting on that this morning I have to say it is not a one time thing. It is a daily process. To love and care. To be mindful. To sit in the moment and know of knowing.

I gain joy from loving well. I am happiest when I fully love someone. I ache at deeply letting go.

The first two pieces are easiest to answer for me. I feel like a loving person. Not perfect in my love but giving freely and willingly. It is the last part that stings and hangs like a debt unpaid.

Part of the letting go is loving someone enough, deeply enough and willingly well enough to appreciate their release. Their graduation from my world to do their own thing. To be who they need to be. To celebrate what needs to be celebrated and given honor to. To recognize their gifts they have shared with me. To acknowledge that the gift of time and love and companionship is just that, a gift. Some parts stay with us and other parts leave us. For good or bad.

Whether it is a friend, a child, a sibling, a parent, a partner, a coworker, a pet, a phase in our lives, it is all important. On every level. Cherishing it is a skill. Being able to recognize what is left from the spoils.
Checking in with myself today. It is important to watch the clouds, listen to my breathing and know that I am alive, well and loving. Even loving the empty spaces or places that once were occupied in my life and in my days. I am remembering to be that spiritual being in a human expereince. Understand this place I have come to learn, visit and experience these things for my growth, development and improvement.
Time to check the dog's food dish and head on my path!

No comments:

Post a Comment